Saturday, May 22, 2021

VSSM became instrumental in providing medical assistance to Geetaben...

Mittal Patel with Rameshbhai and Geetaben


 Recently some work took me to Surat. Since I had to finish some administrative work I reached my brother-in-law’s office. I was finishing my work from my brother’s office when a man dressed in clothes that were stained with myriad colours entered the office and paid his pranams by touching my feet.

It felt awkward when someone my age would fall to my feet, I did not like it. Also, I did not even know him.

“You had saved my Geeta!” he said after sensing my awkwardness.

“Geeta?” I could not recollect. Just then my brother Rakesh entered the office, “This is Ramesh, two years ago I had spoken to you and sent his wife to Ahmedabad for treatment and you had arranged for her treatment at Kidney hospital in Ahmedabad. He would always tell me to inform him when you were in Surat. So here he is today…

“Oh, I had completely forgotten about it.”

Geetaben was suffering from kidney and intestine issues. The doctors in Surat had asked for Rs. 13 lakhs for the treatment with no assurance that it would save her life. My brother-in-law asked me to not worry about the financial implications of the treatment. Also, I was more focused on saving her life along with spending the money. We asked Rakesh to bring Geeta to Ahmedabad. Shri. Madhavbhai Ramanuj, the very compassionate President of VSSM also happens to on the Board of Directors at the Kidney Hospital. We shared Geeta’s case with him, and Geeta’s treatment began free of cost. She was required to stay in Ahmedabad for 3 months. Ramesh would bathe and freshen up and the hostel facility and VSSM would send him a daily tiffin from its hostel. Geeta was in bad shape for proper treatment, warmth and care helped overcome her ailment.

“I have two small children, what if something untoward had happened to Geeta??”

Ramesh and Geeta are natives of Jamnagar but search for better-earning options had brought them to Surat. After a brief chat, he asked if he can call Geeta to meet me. “She has been wanting to meet you for long…” Ramesh asked. I said it was ok to call her.

A very skinny looking Geeta walked into the room.

“How is your health now?”

“I am absolutely good, I can now work out of my home too,” Geeta replied with confidence.

“Can I take your picture? I want to share it with the world, especially for the people who hesitate to come for treatment at public hospitals. The feel the treatment at such hospitals is not up to the mark. If they read your story, many might want to opt for treatment at a government hospital.” I explained my request.

“Please do Ben, I read your posts  on Facebook.

At VSSM, we are just play our role to bridge the gap… rest lies in the hands of Almighty…

તાજેતરમાં સુરત જવાનું થયું. થોડુંક કામ હોવાથી મારા જીજાજીની ફેક્ટરીયે હું પહોંચી. મારા ભાઈની ઓફીસમાં બેસીને હું કામ કરી રહી તે વેળા કલરના ડાઘવાળા કપડાં પહેરેલા એક ભાઈ ઓફીસનો દરવાજો ખોલી મારી પાસે આવ્યા અને મને પાગે લાગ્યા. 

હમઉમરનું કોઈ આમ પગે લાગે! ગમ્યું નહીં. વળી ભાઈને હું ઓળખીયે નહોતી. મારા મોંઢા પરના ભાવ જોઈને એણે કહ્યું,

'તમે મારી ગીતાને બચાવી હતી' ગીતા.. મને કશુંયે યાદ નહોતું. ત્યાં મારો ભાઈ રાકેશ આવ્યો ને એણે કહ્યું,

'આ રમેશ બે વર્ષ પહેલાં તારી સાથે વાત કરીને, એની પત્નીની સારવાર માટે અમદાવાદ મોકલ્યો હતો ને તે કીડની હોસ્પીટલમાં બધુ ગોઠવી આપેલું. મને હંમેશાં કહે, મિત્તલબેન આવે તો મને કહેજો. મારે મળવું છે. તે આજે...'

'ઓહ.. હું તો ભૂલી ગયેલી' 

ગીતાબેનને કીડની અને આંતરડાની તકલીફ થયેલી. સુરતના ડોક્ટરે 13 લાખનો ખર્ચ કહ્યો પણ બચવાની સંભાવનાની કોઈ ખાત્રી ન આપી. મારા જીજાજીએ આર્થિક ચિંતા ન કરવા કહ્યું. પણ મુદ્દો પૈસા ખર્ચતા માણસ બચે એનો હતો. રાકેશે મને વિગત કહી મે એમને અમદાવાદ આવવા કહ્યું, કીડની હોસ્પીટલમાં અમારા આદરણીય માધવભાઈ રામાનુજ.. ઋજુ હ્રદયના વ્યક્તિની સાથે સાથે VSSMના એ પ્રમુખ પણ. એમની સાથે ગીતાની સ્થિતિની વાત કરી અને ગીતાની સારવાર અમદાવાદમાં વિનામૂલ્યે  શરૃ થઈ. ત્રણ મહિના અમદાવાદ રહેવું પડ્યું. રમેશનું જમવાનું અમારી હોસ્ટેલમાંથી નિયમીત પહોંચે.  નાહી ધોઈને ફ્રેશ થવા પણ એ હોસ્ટેલે જાય.. 

ગીતાની હાલત ખરાબ હતી પણ યોગ્ય સારવાર અને માનસીક હૂંફથી ગીતા સાજી નરવી થઈ ગઈ. રમેશભાઈએ કહ્યું, 

'મારે બે નાના બાળકો. ગીતાને કાંઈ થ્યું હોત તો?' મૂળ એ જામનગરના વતની કામ ધંધા અર્થે સુરતમાં રહે. અમે થોડી વાતો કરી ત્યાં એમણે કહ્યું, ગીતાને બોલાવી લાવુું એ તમને ક્યા
રનીયે મળવા માંગતી હતી. મે હા કહી.. થોડીવારમાં શરીરે સુકલકડી એવા ગીતાબેન આવ્યા. 

'તબીયત હવે?' 

'બહુ સારી બેન. હું તો હવે કામ જવું છું...'

મે કહ્યું, 'તમારો ફોટો પાડુ. મૂળ આર્થિક સ્થિતિ નબળી હોય તેવા પરિવારોના ત્યાં બિમારી આવે ને અમે સિવિલ આવવા કહીએ તો પહેલાં તૈયાર નથી થતા.એમને લાગે કે અહીંયા સારવાર બરાબર નથી થતી. તમારી વાતથી લોકોને પ્રેરણા મળશે માટે...'  

રમેશભાઈએ કહ્યું, ' ચોક્કસ બેન,,  ફેસબુકમાં તમને જોવું છું'

આપણું કામ આંગળી ચિંધવાનું... બાકી બધુ તો કુદરત કરે... 

#MittalPatel #vssm #medical

#surat #CivilHospital #care

#help #helpinghands #Team Madhav Ramanuj

1 comment: