Tuesday, November 14, 2017

VSSM presents Razak Dafer before the police...

Razak Dafers's father-in-law, brother and dafer community
leader Dinabhai accompained Razak when VSSM
presented him to the police

 How could you get habituated to thievery?

Police Inspector Thakorsaheb with Razak Dafer
“It just happened, I was afraid initially but after committing few robberies the fear just vanished. I also found friends who helped me with it. My father tried convincing me to stop it but I never bothered to listen to him, just shooed him away. My in-laws also tried so hard to stop me but I chose not to pay heed to their talks!! I just kept committing thefts one after the other!! But, I had to stop somewhere, someday!! I have 3 daughters and it is so difficult to raise them in the woods and on the run!! When you had met me in Gangad and asked to leave this path, I had already sobered down but after that meeting I have never set out to rob anyone. I realized this is not a life of dignity. It is impossible to keep running from police, they are bound to find me one day. And I could not see my family and innocent being punished for me.. Hence, I had decided to summon before the police in your presence.”

Kesarben Dafer joined Mittal Patel to present Razak Dafer
before the police
Razak should be in his early 30s If you have had a chance to talk to him or have seen him, he is absolutely docile looking guy next door. A very fearing man!! We still struggle to compered how could he have carried out such robberies? Kesarben, Razak’s mother-in-law is a very hard-working lady but her name also appears on police records. She has been accused of theft too, “Ben, I have not committed any theft. The DVD player was brought by my relative. I should have understood that this is a robbed article, why else would a Dafer buy a DVD player when they do not have electricity in their homes!! Somewhere, I was partially aware that it was a robbed product but got lured to the temptation and now am in this fix!! You first help Razak come out of the mess and later I will summon myself. I have too much to take care of. But I will present myself pretty soon, you only give me to the police, Ben!!”

Kesarben has decided to stop the future generations of her family from getting into such unlawful activities and to correct the names of one who have taken to the criminal path in the past. She believes, once they are out of jail a life of honesty awaits them!!

Razak was presented to the Nadiad LCB. The police officials were very supportive and courteous. They asked us to share a cup of tea with them before leaving!! While we were leaving, Razak was on verge of tears. And suddenly his wife Rashida called, “Masi, tell the police not to beat him!” I asked her not to worry. “When you are with us, I have nothing to worry about. Once he completes his sentence, get him into a decent business. We want to work hard to earn a dignified living. I promise, I will never allow him to take up this path again!” Rashida is my age but calls me Masi (aunt) because of the affectionate relationship her mother shares with me and calls me Bahen (sister).  

Kesarbai joined me from Mehsana to present Razak before the police. She remained very strong throughout the entire procedure but found it hard to hold back her tears when we walked out of the office of the senior police officer. “Ben, you please hire a lawyer, I don’t have enough money to pay their hefty fees but, please be on his side and help in releasing him.” I had already spoken to the police and asked her not to worry!! By the time we were to reach Ahmedabad, “Ben, call the PI and tell them to give Razak some food because he has not eaten since morning!!” Kesarbai is Razak’s mother-in-law but showers affection like a mother would. It is her cajoling that has made Razak give up his unlawful activities.

Razak’s father-in-law, brother and Dafer community leader Dinabhai accompanied Razak when we presented him to the police. Police Inspector  Thakorsaheb asked us not to worry and took a picture with Razak. Kesarbai did need some encouraging and healing worlds to make her relax!!

‘ચોરીના રવાડે તુ ક્યાંથી ચડ્યો?’

‘થાતા થઈ ગ્યું બેન. પેલી વારકા બીક લાગેગી પસી તો હિંમત ખુલી ગઈ. પાસી સંગતેય એવી મળી. હગો બાપ ના પાડતો તો. પણ એ ટાણે એય દુશ્મન લાગતો. ઈને કાઢી મુક્યો. પસી મારી ઘરવાળીના પિયરીયા હારે આવીને રયો. ઈમનેય ઘણી ના પાડી. પણ હું નો રોકાણો... ને એક પછી એક એમ ચોરીમાં આગળ વધતો ગ્યો. પણ પસી ક્યાંક તો બ્રેક મારવાની જ હતી ને.. મારે બાલબચ્ચા થ્યા. તણ છોડીયુંને ઈની 'મા'ને હાચવવાનું એ આમ જંગલમાં રખડીને નો થાય. તમે જ્યારે ગાંગડ મળ્યા તે ટાણે કહ્યું કે મુક આ બધુ. આમ તો મુકી જ દીધુ તુ પણ એ પસી કોઈ દી ચોરી હાટુ નથ નીકળ્યો. ઈજ્જતની જિંદગી નથી એ હમજાઈ ગ્યું. કાયમ પોલીસથી ભાગતા ફરવાનું તો નથ થવાનું. કરેલા ગુના હાટુ એ પાતાળમાંથીએ હોધી લેવાની. અને પાસુ મને હોધવા કેટલાય નિર્દોષ દંડાઈ જાય. એટલે નક્કી કર્યું તમારા હાથે જ પોલીસમાં હાજર થવાનું.’

રજાક ડફેર પાંત્રીસી પણ નહીં વટાવી હોય. સ્વભાવ અને દેખાવ ગભરુ રજાકને ચોરી કરતા જીવ કેમ ચાલ્યો હશે એ પ્રશ્ન આજેય થાય. કેસરબાઈ એની સાસુ. ખુબ મહેનતુ. એનુયે નામ ચોરીમાં ખુલ્યુ. ‘ના બેન મે ચોરી નથ કરી. પણ ડીવીડી મને અમારા હગાએ દીધી ને એ ચોરીનો માલ હતો ને એમાં હું હલવાઈ ગઈ. જો કે વાંક મારો જ સે. અમાર ડફેરના છાપરે ક્યાં લાઈટ હતી તે ડીવીડી વગાડવા પેલો વેચાતું લાયો હોય. ચોરીનો જ માલ હતો ખબર હતી પણ મન લલચાઈ ગ્યું ને ગુનો ચડી ગ્યો. એક ફેરા રજાકને ચોખો કરી દઉ પસી મનેય હાજર કરી દયો. ગુનેગારનો ભાર લઈને નથ જીવવું. પણ હાલ હાજર થવાય એમ નથ. પંદરજણની હોજવેણને હંભાળવાનું મારા માથે સે ને એટલે. પણ જલદી થઈ જઈશ. તમે જ હોંપી દેજો પોલીસટેશન.’

કેસરબેને નક્કી કર્યું કે પોતાના ઘરમાં કે કુટુંબમાં એકેય માણસ હવે અવળા રસ્તે નહીં ચડે ને જે ભૂતકાળમાં ચડ્યા છે એય #જેલમા જઈને સુધરીને પાછા આવી મહેનતનો રોટલો રળે.

રજાકને નડિયાદ એલ.સી.બી.માં હાજર કર્યો. પોલીસની ચા પીને અમે નીકળીએ એમ કહ્યું, ત્યારે રજાકનું રડવું જ બાકી હતું. એની ઘરવાળી રસીદા આમ તો મારી જ ઉંમરની પણ કેસરબેનની મારા ઉપરની મમતા એ મને બહેન માને એટલે હમઉમર રસીદા મને માસી કહે, એણે ફોન પર કહ્યું, ‘માસી પોલીસને કેજો એને મારે નહીં...’ મે કહ્યું ચિંતા ના કર. તો એણે કહ્યું, ‘તમે બેઠા સો પસી અમારે સાની ચિંતા. એ છુટીને આવે પસી એને કામે લગાડી દેજો. મેનતનો રોટલો રળશું પણ હવે આ માર્ગે એને નઈ જવા દઉ. મારી જીભાન તમને આલી.’
કેસરબાઈની દીકરી રસીદા અદ્લ કેસરબાઈ જેવી જ... મહેસાણાથી મારી સાથે આવેલા કેસરબેને ખુબ હિંમત રાખી પણ જેવા રજાકને સોંપીને અમે પોલીસ અધીક્ષકની કચેરીમાંથી નીચે ઉતર્યા કે એમની હિંમત તુટી ગઈ.. આંખો ભરાઈ આવી. રડતા જ બોલ્યા, ‘બેન વકીલ હાટુ મારી પાસે પૈસા નથી. તમે આને છોડાવજો. એની હોધ લેજો.’ વકીલ સાથે મે વાત કરી જ લીધી છે. ચિંતા ના કરો એવી હૈયાધારણા આપી. છતાં રસ્તામાં અમદાવાદ આવતા, ‘બેન પી.આઈ.ને ફોન કરોને એને ખાવા આલે. હવારથી ઈને કાંઈ ખાધુ નથી...’ કેસરબાઈ સાસુ પણ ‘મા’થીએ વિશેષ વહાલ એણે રજાકને કર્યું ને એ હેતથી જ રજાક સાચા રસ્તે પાછો ફર્યો...
રજાકને હાજર કરવા #ડફેર નાતના પટેલ દીનાભાઈને રજાકના સસરા હયાત ને ભાઈ પણ હાજર રહ્યા. પી.આઈ. ઠાકોર સાહેબે એની ચિંતા ના કરવા કહ્યું ને રજાકની બાજુમાં ઊભા રહી ફોટો પડાવ્યો. તો કચેરીમાઁથી બહાર આવીને ભાવુક થઈ ગયેલા કેસરબેનને થોડા હળવા કરવા અમે પ્રયત્નો પણ કર્યા....
આ મીશન પાર પાડવામાં #પોલીસ કમીશનર આદરણીય એસ.કે.ગઢવીનો મોટો ફાળો રહ્યો. તેમણે સરસ રીતે બધુ ગોઠવી આપ્યું તેમની મદદ માટે પ્રમાણ ને આભાર.... 

#VSSM #Dafer #DenotifiedTribes #NomadsOfIndia #NomadsOfGujarat#MittalPatel #HumanApproach #HumanInterestStory #Police #LCB#Robbery #Police Attrocity

No comments:

Post a Comment